Monday, December 12, 2011

Today

  • My son is 8 days old - I don't know what surprises me more: that it's already been 8 days or that I have a son (not son versus daughter, though there's a touch of that in there too, but mostly I've come to terms with it, but more that I have a child; I'm a Mommy now. The girls are wonderful and I consider them as much mine as Hudson is, being that I'm helping to raise them too, but they're mostly grown. They don't need me like he does. It shouldn't really make a difference (and it doesn't in terms of love) but wow, I have a son!
  • Nate went back to work today. That was the quickest week off that we've spent together. We didn't get to do much relaxing, but it was absolutely beautiful to see the two of them together. Hudson is a great baby and loves to cuddle... especially with his daddy. Nate just has the touch! I was worried about how we'd make it through without him today, but as of now, we've survived. Maybe just the honeymoon period, or maybe I can handle it, but I definitely miss having him around.
  • I: am wearing my wedding/engagement rings (have been for a couple days) again finally, am dressed entirely in non-maternity clothes (the jeans are Alyssa's that had shrunk and didn't fit her bigger hips, but are still too big for me, so I enjoy them when I need some roomier/comfy jeans) with a belt, straightened my hair before leaving the house (granted I didn't put on any makeup, but I wear it so infrequently, I would've spent more time looking for it than applying it), have 12 pounds left to lose before I reach my pre-pregnancy weight!
  • I have accomplished: getting baby and myself ready to leave the house within an hour and a half of waking up (though we still ended up missing his doctor's appointment because he was marathon feeding - over an hour!), 2 loads of laundry, taking Nate lunch/dinner, eventually making it to the doctor (he's gotten the all-clear on his jaundice, by the way), read half of the blogs that I follow and have missed in the last week (will finish the rest shortly since he's down for a nap) and almost finished reading the book I started right before being admitted to the hospital, and ran to Babies R Us for more pacis/paci holders/breast pads.
  • I have still not crossed off my to-do list: finishing my thank you notes from my shower (okay, okay, I WILL DO THEM TOMORROW, promise!), look at Hudson's baby book to see what milestones we've already hit - don't want to get too far behind from the get-go, write up his birth story so that I'll remember everything for years to come, finish unpacking from the hospital (so that we can stop tripping over bags laying around our bedroom), tidying up the house a bit, refilling the baby wipes at the changing station in the living room, finishing up our Christmas/baby announcement cards and the address list that goes along with it (I need to get those ordered TOMORROW so I can get them out ASAP, though with facebook, everyone knows all about him already), get frames for our newborn pictures that arrived today, finish laundry, take out the trash, restock our oven-ready meals, plan for Nate's work Christmas party (it's Wednesday - I don't know what we're bringing food-wise), go through my emails (every time I get a new one, it pops up the total unread on my phone - I think we're sitting around 127 right now), figure out travel arrangements for the girls Re: Christmas travel, and get the material finally picked out for the sling I'm having made for my cousin Cassy who also just had a baby (okay, it was like 2+ weeks ago and I've been fighting with her baby shower present for nearly 2 months - Target sent me an email saying it had been shipped out, then, 2 weeks later, that there was a problem with the order and it had been cancelled, and at that point, I decided to do something that didn't require technology).
Wow, that to-do list definitely outnumbers the have-done list, but I think that getting anything done is an accomplishment, and need to just remember that I'll never get this time back... so I intend to enjoy every feeding (even the frustrating ones), ever diaper change (even when I'm getting peed on), every coo, babble, and smile because I'm realizing that it's true: it all goes by so fast!

1 comment:

  1. The first couple weeks are INSANE but hang in there - try and sleep as much as possible and enjoy bity baby because he is going to be sooo big before you know it!

    ReplyDelete