Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Inspiration Behind All This Fervor: The Story Part 2

All of the "signs" pointed to us having a little boy.  I wanted 4 boys all my life, and Nate has always hoped to have a "Little Nate" running around.  I was carrying all in my belly, relatively low; I was radiant; the heartbeat hovered around the boy/girl mark.  When we went in for the ultrasound and found out that we were having a little girl, I'm ashamed to say that I was disappointed.  I laid on the table and cried while we watched her kicking and wiggling around.  But as time wore on and we started planning for her to be a person, our daughter, I warmed up to the idea of precious hairbows, ballet classes, mother-daughter bonding, etc. 

Since this was an unexpected and unplanned pregnancy, we started planning on ways to cut expenses.  We combined our car insurance on to my policy so we'd get a better rate.  We got a single cell phone plan for both of us so that we could "bundle".  And we planned to finally clean out the storage unit that was holding all the leftovers from my old apartment.  This one was the hardest to orchestrate as I was attempting to return a TON of furniture to my parents that I had finagled from them a couple years prior... and they didn't have the room either.  But this was another $100 a month that we weren't going to be able to budget when she got here.

So on January 15th, my dad came to Greensboro to help me start moving stuff out.  The plan was to load it bit by bit into their minivan and store it in their garage until we could sell it off.  We'd had some snow in the weeks prior, and while the temperatures were moderate, there was still some slickness where the sun wasn't shining.  The walkway to our front door was a solid sheet of ice, so I took my time picking my way across it, but when I got to the driveway, my foot hit the 1" patch of ice next to the car and I went sprawling face-first.  I took most of the weight on my left knee - which started swelling immediately - and left hand - which was nicely gouged and bleeding everywhere.  It took me a minute to get over the shock, but I went back inside to tell Nate, who was getting ready for work at the time.  He had me lay down for a few minutes and monitor her movements (since it felt like I'd knocked her straight on the noggin) but she was wiggling around like normal.  I called the doctor's office and they recommended stopping by the hospital for monitoring at some point that day, but didn't seem to think it was urgent since I wasn't bleeding, leaking fluids, having contractions, and she was still moving around fine - plus there's quite a bit of insulation with the amniotic fluid.

So I went to the storage place and we got some of the stuff packed up in my daddy's van.  I started to get pretty stiff, but I figured it was just from the tumble, but I headed to the hospital with my dad and brother in tow - and told Nate that if they thought something was wrong, I'd call him; otherwise he should stay at work since the doctor's office seemed nonplussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment